Lawyers - Volunteer with VLS
Volunteer Lawyer Services (VLS) is a program that matches charitable organizations and low income individuals with volunteer lawyers who provide pro bono legal services which they would otherwise not receive due to a lack of financial resources.
You choose your case, you define the scope of your involvement and you decide whether taking that case meets with your time constraints and comfort level.
There are a number of ways to get involved, including opportunities for private practitioners, in-house counsel, government lawyers, students-at-law and retired lawyers and judges.
Get On Board. Download the application form here.
- Call the VLS Program Coordinator: 403.541.4803
- Email the VLS Program Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Download the application and send it to us by email, fax or mail
Volunteer with a Pro Bono Legal Clinic
Volunteering at a pro bono legal clinic is a great way to get involved with your community and help our low-income neighbors without a huge time commitment.
- Calgary Legal Guidance
- Central Alberta Community Legal Clinic
- Children's Legal & Educational Resource Centre
- Edmonton Community Legal Centre
- Grande Prairie Legal Guidance
- Lethbridge Legal Guidance
Volunteer as a Mentor
Answering questions in your area of expertise is a way to help other volunteer lawyers with their VLS cases and does not require a large time commitment. Mentors are invaluable sources of information to volunteers and help the experience be successful - which increases the willingness to volunteer again and ultimately, the number of people who receive help.