Help for Individuals
Through a variety of projects and initiatives, PBLA creates and promotes opportunities for lawyers to become involved in pro bono legal service. PBLA is not a legal clinic and does not provide direct legal services to the public. To learn more about pro bono clinics/organizations, resources and programs that may be able to help individuals with legal needs, click the links below.
Pro Bono Projects:
PBLA develops pro bono legal projects in partnership with local law firms and community agencies. Visit the PBLA blog and Subscribe to receive email announcements of upcoming legal clinic events and workshops in Alberta.
Court Based Programs:
PBLA engages volunteer lawyers in programs operating out of the Calgary Court Centre and Edmonton Law Courts. Please click the links below for program schedules.
PBLA is committed to providing a safe and respectful environment for our programs.We will NOT TOLERATE offensive, abusive or threatening language and behaviour towards our staff, volunteers or other service users. If you use this language or display this behaviour, we will stop service, call security and ask you to leave.
PBLA has developed PROGRAM GUIDELINES for Court-Based Programs at Calgary and Edmonton court centres.
- Please take a seat and wait for assistance.
- Do not enter the program offices when a volunteer is unavailable or is meeting with a client.
- This service is provided by volunteers. Assistance is not guaranteed.
- We provide help on a first-come, first-served basis. We do not book appointments or make lists ahead of time.
- You MUST complete intake forms to receive assistance.
- After you fill out our forms, please hold on to them until a volunteer is available.
- You must wait outside the program office to hold your place in line.
- If you have to leave for a few minutes, please inform a volunteer or other clients, or you may lose your turn.
- Completing our forms does not hold your place. You still need to wait outside the program office.
- We DO NOT provide typing, printing, photocopying or other clerical services.
- We DO NOT provide interpretation services. Please arrange for an interpreter if you need one.
- We try to ensure that a volunteer lawyer is available at every shift. However, shifts may be cancelled on short notice due to volunteer unavailability or other reasons beyond our control.
Thank you for your cooperation and respect for these program guidelines.
Free Legal Programs:
Community Legal Clinic, Fort McMurray
Call 587-674-2282 to find out if you qualify and to book an appointment. Phone lines are open Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (closed 12-1)
Legal Clinic Schedule (by appointment only): 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm.Assistance is provided in various areas of law:
- Wills and Estates
- Civil law/debt
Location:YMCA of Northern Alberta, 106B – 9816 Hardin St, Fort McMurray. Click here for brochure.
1000 Voices Legal Clinic at Genesis Centre, Calgary
Need to talk to a lawyer? Get 30 minutes of free legal advice from a volunteer lawyer at the 1000 Voices Legal Clinic at the Genesis Centre. Clinics are held the 4th Tuesday of each month from 9:00 to 12:00 pm. Book an appointment at 403-716-6476.
Educational Films to Help Prepare for Court:
Information Videos on Divorce:
Resolution and Court Administration Division of Alberta Justice and Solicitor General has created a series of Divorce Videos to help respond to the demand from Albertans wanting to work on their own divorce but needing help to navigate the forms and the process.
Resolution and Court Administration Services now has a central contact centre for questions or assistance.
Toll Free 1-855- 738-4747
In Edmonton 780-638-4747
Resolution Services - Calgary has created a resource list of agencies in Calgary. Click here for the brochure.
Pro Bono Clinics/Organizations:
Central Alberta Community Legal Clinic - Red Deer
Children's Legal & Educational Resource Centre - Calgary
Edmonton Community Legal Centre
Grande Prairie Legal Guidance
Lethbridge Legal Guidance
Lawyer Referral Services:
Law Related Organizations:
Canadian Bar Association Alberta
Legal Aid Alberta
Alberta Law Foundation
Canadian Forum on Civil Justice