Help for Individuals
Through a variety of projects and initiatives, PBLA creates and promotes opportunities for lawyers to become involved in pro bono legal service. PBLA is not a legal clinic and does not provide direct legal services to the public. To learn more about pro bono clinics/organizations, resources and programs that may be able to help individuals with legal needs, click the links below.
Pro Bono Projects:
PBLA develops pro bono legal projects in partnership with local law firms and community agencies. Visit the PBLA blog and Subscribe to receive email announcements of upcoming legal clinic events and workshops in Alberta.
Court Based Programs:
PBLA engages volunteer lawyers in programs operating out of the Calgary Court Centre and Edmonton Law Courts. Please click the links below for program schedules.
PBLA is committed to providing a safe and respectful environment for our programs.We will NOT TOLERATE offensive, abusive or threatening language and behaviour towards our staff, volunteers or other service users. If you use this language or display this behaviour, we will stop service, call security and ask you to leave.
PBLA has developed PROGRAM GUIDELINES for Court-Based Programs at Calgary and Edmonton court centres.
- Please take a seat and wait for assistance.
- Do not enter the program offices when a volunteer is unavailable or is meeting with a client.
- This service is provided by volunteers. Assistance is not guaranteed.
- We provide help on a first-come, first-served basis. We do not book appointments or make lists ahead of time.
- You MUST complete intake forms to receive assistance.
- After you fill out our forms, please hold on to them until a volunteer is available.
- You must wait outside the program office to hold your place in line.
- If you have to leave for a few minutes, please inform a volunteer or other clients, or you may lose your turn.
- Completing our forms does not hold your place. You still need to wait outside the program office.
- We DO NOT provide typing, printing, photocopying or other clerical services.
- We DO NOT provide interpretation services. Please arrange for an interpreter if you need one.
- We try to ensure that a volunteer lawyer is available at every shift. However, shifts may be cancelled on short notice due to volunteer unavailability or other reasons beyond our control.
Thank you for your cooperation and respect for these program guidelines.
Free Legal Programs:
Educational Films to Help Prepare for Court:
Information Videos on Divorce:
Resolution and Court Administration Division of Alberta Justice and Solicitor General has created a series of Divorce Videos to help respond to the demand from Albertans wanting to work on their own divorce but needing help to navigate the forms and the process.
Resolution and Court Administration Services now has a central contact centre for questions or assistance.
Toll Free 1-855- 738-4747
In Edmonton 780-638-4747
Resolution Services - Calgary has created a resource list of agencies in Calgary. Click here for the brochure.
Reduced Hours for Resolution and Court Administration Services:
Beginning August 2, 2016 for a three month pilot project, the majority of Resolution Services offices will provide services to the public 8:15 am - 4:00 pm.
This reduction in service hours will NOT impact:
1. the Resolution & Court Administration Services Contact Centre (open 8:15 am - 4:30 pm) which provides information by telephone at the following numbers:
2. Alberta Law Libraries (no change - open to 4:30 pm)
3. Hearing Offices (no change - open to 4:30 pm)
PLEASE NOTE: Resolution Support Centre: Information Services (formerly Law Information Centre) is moving to the 7th floor in the Calgary Courts Centre effective January 1, 2017.
Pro Bono Clinics/Organizations:
Central Alberta Community Legal Clinic - Red Deer
Children's Legal & Educational Resource Centre - Calgary
Edmonton Community Legal Centre
Grande Prairie Legal Guidance
Lethbridge Legal Guidance
Lawyer Referral Services:
Law Related Organizations:
Canadian Bar Association Alberta
Legal Aid Alberta
Alberta Law Foundation
Canadian Forum on Civil Justice